Post 1

From what you’ve seen of the course so far, and in the course outline, which of the assessment strategies in your reading this week are being used in this course?

A lot of assessment strategies come from the authentic assessment characteristics described in the readings this week. There are points about introducing educational values first, which was discussed in the introduction to the course as well as topics regarding privacy and technology use. Assessments are broken up into multiple stages where feedback can be provided and used to enhance and achieve the learning outcomes. This course also has relevance in the real world, where simulations mimic instances where we would be required to work in team environments to curate a lesson for online-learning. This assignment also delves into the self-reflective aspect of authentic assessments, where learners think in their own ways of how the information we have learned is being used in practiced.

Which are not being used?

From what I see thus far and in the outline, they are mostly in the form of assessments rather than evaluations, which was covered in the reading as “product oriented, summative, and judgemental.” Of course, there is still some inevitable evidence of these strategies of assessments like at the end of the course, but they are less of the focus.

What Learning Theories (from Weelk 1) do these connect to?

These learning theories connect largely to the constructivist theory. These foundations are based on curating collaborative and meaningful, personal experiences. They are based on real world experiences, which the assignments give the freedom to explore. In addition to these points, there is no indication of a single “right” answer to these assignments or learning goals, so these mental representations of knowledge are flexible and open to change. Along with the constructivist theory, we learned many other views and ideas that help shape our own personal understandings of these theories.

How does it compare to other courses you’ve taken in your studies?

In my recent years, especially in university there is a lot more emphasis on collaborative work and professors implementing multiple stages into creating a final assignment, such as a paper. They have also used more peer-feedback and assessments in our work on top of the multi-stage feedback that we get. I find this method a lot more time consuming, but well rewarding overall. I am looking forward to making something similar in my own collaborative project and further my depth of understanding of assessments and design.

Conrad, D., & Openo, J. (2018). Assessment strategies for online learning: Engagement and authenticity. AU Press, Athabasca University.
https://doi.org/10.15215/aupress/9781771992329.01

Ertmer, P. A. & Newby, T. (2018). Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism: Comparing Critical Features From an Instructional Design Perspective. In R. E. West (Ed.), Foundations of Learning and Instructional Design Technology. EdTech Books. https://edtechbooks.org/lidtfoundations/behaviorism_cognitivism_constructivism

Comments, etc.

1. Karlie

I enjoyed reading your post, Kana! You very clearly explained which strategies and theories the assessment for this course connects to. It’s interesting that more university courses have started to use these strategies. I agree that this can take more time but results in a better quality of learning at the end!

2. menoa

Your analysis of the assessment strategies in our course is really insightful and well-structured. You’ve done a great job highlighting how the course aligns with authentic assessment characteristics, such as prioritizing educational values and integrating feedback across multiple stages. I agree that these aspects really should enhance our learning experience by making it more relevant and interactive.